logo

한국어

토론 마당

로그인 후 자유로운 글쓰기가 가능한 게시판입니다.
이 게시판은 RSS와 엮인글이 가능합니다.
이 곳의 글은 최근에 변경된 순서로 정렬됩니다.
* 광고성 글은 바로 삭제되며, 민주주의법학연구회의 설립취지에 어긋나는 글은 삭제 또는 다른 게시판으로 이동될 수 있습니다.
* 관리자에게 글을 쓸 때, 옵션의 "비밀"을 선택하시면 관리자만 글을 읽을 수 있습니다.
* 글을 쓰실 때 개인정보(주민등록번호, 주소지 등)이 유출되지 않도록 주의해주십시오
조회 수 : 18590
2005.12.23 (11:27:23)
상황이 어떻게 진전될 지 귀추가 주목됩니다. 미국의 판사들에게 성원을 보냅니다.

관련 워싱턴 포스트 기사도 퍼왔습니다.

美법원,"비밀 도청 진상 설명하라"

"부시 대통령에게 정보감시 법원 해체 제안할 수도"

(워싱턴=연합뉴스) 박노황 특파원= 대테러전을 명분으로 미국민들에 대해  법원 의 허가없이 취해진 비밀 도청의 적법성을 놓고 논란이 빚어지고 있는 가운데  비밀 도청 영장 발부권을 가진 해외정보감시법원(FISA)이 조지 부시 행정부에 대해  진상을 밝히도록 요구했다고 워싱턴 포스트가 22일 보도했다.

이 신문에 따르면 FISA의 콜린 칼라-코텔리 법원장은 부시 대통령의 비밀  도청 허용 조치와 관련, 동료 판사들을 위해 국가안보국(NSA)및 법무부 고위 관리들이 비공개 브리핑을 갖도록 주선중이며, 이 자리에서 판사들은 비밀 도청 허용의  적법성에 대한 그들의 우려를 전달할 예정이다.

법원의 이 같은 움직임은 제임스 로버트슨 판사가 부시 대통령의  비밀 도청 허용에 항의, 지난 19일 사표를 제출한데 이어 나온 것이다.

아직 법원내 조직적인 반발 움직임은 없으나 이 법원의 한 판사는 부시  대통령이 법원의 영장 발부 없이도 자신이 비밀 도청을 허용할 권한을 갖고 있다고 주장한 만큼 판사들이 FISA의 해체를 제안할 수도 있을 것이라고 포스트는 전했다.

지난 1970년대 발족한 FISA는 미국내 간첩및 테러 용의자 비밀 감시 활동에  대해 영장 발급을 통한 인가권을 행사해왔다.

로버트슨 판사를 비롯한 FISA의 일부 판사들은 특히 비밀 도청으로 수집된 정보가 자칫 비밀 도청 영장 발부에 이용될 수 있다는 점에 우려를 표하고 있다.

포스트는 정부 관리들의 말을 인용, FISA 판사들이 안보 당국의 브리핑  내용을 보고 법무부에 과거 비밀 도청이 불순한 것이 아니었음을 입증할 증거 제출을  요구할 수 있을 것이라고 밝혔다.

로버트슨 판사는 FISA 판사직에서는 사임했지만 연방법원 판사직은 유지하고 있으며 FISA내 다른 판사들의 추가 사임 움직임은 아직 없다고 포스트는 전했다.

nhpark@yna.co.kr
(끝) <저작권자(c)연합뉴스. 무단전재-재배포금지.> 2005/12/23 02:02 송고

Spy Court Judge Quits In Protest
Jurist Concerned Bush Order Tainted Work of Secret Panel

By Carol D. Leonnig and Dafna Linzer
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, December 21, 2005; A01

A federal judge has resigned from the court that oversees government surveillance in intelligence cases in protest of President Bush's secret authorization of a domestic spying program, according to two sources.

U.S. District Judge James Robertson, one of 11 members of the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, sent a letter to Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. late Monday notifying him of his resignation without providing an explanation.

Two associates familiar with his decision said yesterday that Robertson privately expressed deep concern that the warrantless surveillance program authorized by the president in 2001 was legally questionable and may have tainted the FISA court's work.

Robertson, who was appointed to the federal bench in Washington by President Bill Clinton in 1994 and was later selected by then-Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist to serve on the FISA court, declined to comment when reached at his office late yesterday.

Word of Robertson's resignation came as two Senate Republicans joined the call for congressional investigations into the National Security Agency's warrantless interception of telephone calls and e-mails to overseas locations by U.S. citizens suspected of links to terrorist groups. They questioned the legality of the operation and the extent to which the White House kept Congress informed.

Sens. Chuck Hagel (Neb.) and Olympia J. Snowe (Maine) echoed concerns raised by Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, who has promised hearings in the new year.

Hagel and Snowe joined Democrats Dianne Feinstein (Calif.), Carl M. Levin (Mich.) and Ron Wyden (Ore.) in calling for a joint investigation by the Senate judiciary and intelligence panels into the classified program.

The hearings would occur at the start of a midterm election year during which the prosecution of the Iraq war could figure prominently in House and Senate races.

Not all Republicans agreed with the need for hearings and backed White House assertions that the program is a vital tool in the war against al Qaeda.

"I am personally comfortable with everything I know about it," Acting House Majority Leader Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) said in a phone interview.

At the White House, spokesman Scott McClellan was asked to explain why Bush last year said, "Any time you hear the United States government talking about wiretap, it requires -- a wiretap requires a court order. Nothing has changed, by the way. When we're talking about chasing down terrorists, we're talking about getting a court order before we do so." McClellan said the quote referred only to the USA Patriot Act.

Revelation of the program last week by the New York Times also spurred considerable debate among federal judges, including some who serve on the secret FISA court. For more than a quarter-century, that court had been seen as the only body that could legally authorize secret surveillance of espionage and terrorism suspects, and only when the Justice Department could show probable cause that its targets were foreign governments or their agents.

Robertson indicated privately to colleagues in recent conversations that he was concerned that information gained from warrantless NSA surveillance could have then been used to obtain FISA warrants. FISA court Presiding Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, who had been briefed on the spying program by the administration, raised the same concern in 2004 and insisted that the Justice Department certify in writing that it was not occurring.

"They just don't know if the product of wiretaps were used for FISA warrants -- to kind of cleanse the information," said one source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the classified nature of the FISA warrants. "What I've heard some of the judges say is they feel they've participated in a Potemkin court."

Robertson is considered a liberal judge who has often ruled against the Bush administration's assertions of broad powers in the terrorism fight, most notably in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld . Robertson held in that case that the Pentagon's military commissions for prosecuting terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, were illegal and stacked against the detainees.

Some FISA judges said they were saddened by the news of Robertson's resignation and want to hear more about the president's program.

"I guess that's a decision he's made and I respect him," said Judge George P. Kazen, another FISA judge. "But it's just too quick for me to say I've got it all figured out."

Bush said Monday that the White House briefed Congress more than a dozen times. But those briefings were conducted with only a handful of lawmakers who were sworn to secrecy and prevented from discussing the matter with anyone or from seeking outside legal opinions.

Sen. John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.) revealed Monday that he had written to Vice President Cheney the day he was first briefed on the program in July 2003, raising serious concerns about the surveillance effort. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said she also expressed concerns in a letter to Cheney, which she did not make public.

The chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), issued a public rebuke of Rockefeller for making his letter public.

In response to a question about the letter, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) suggested that Rockefeller should have done more if he was seriously concerned. "If I thought someone was breaking the law, I don't care if it was classified or unclassified, I would stand up and say 'the law's being broken here.' "

But Rockefeller said the secrecy surrounding the briefings left him with no other choice. "I made my concerns known to the vice president and to others who were briefed," Rockefeller said. "The White House never addressed my concerns."

Staff writers Jonathan Weisman and Charles Babington and researcher Julie Tate contributed to this report.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company

Tag List